Monday, February 28, 2011

I remember...

I remember being hot. Really hot. My face was red with anticipation. I was standing next to my friend Teagan, and we both knew this was the moment we had been waiting for. All of our year had come down to this moment. They were posting finals. Foreign Extemp first... and Teagan was not in. A quick glance told me he was upset, but that he would be fine shortly. And then United States... but no. Scanning the sheet multiple times, surely enough, my code was not on there. Then a quick look to Andy and Zach, and a look of depression on their faces. Duo was a no go as well. All of our seasons had come to a conclusion, and an unsatisfying one at that.

It was Winston Churchill who once said, "If you're going through hell, keep going." I don't really think I ever got this quote until the beginning of my senior year, when I think all that happened at Nationals in Kansas City finally caught up to me. It was then I realized I was going through a tough realization period, but sulking would no longer be productive. I had to use loss to motivate me. And somehow, I need to do that again.


Being so close to finals motivated me throughout the beginning of the year, and got me ready quite fast. I wanted to redeem myself, as I still do. I realized early on I could return and perhaps win, but it was going to take even more work than it dude my Junior year. Although the "MBA Experiment" went horribly wrong, there are still many challenges ahead. Qualifying back to nationals in the first place, all the obstacles that come with State Quals and State, TOC (perhaps), and NCFL (perhaps). But it all started with being so close, going through a rough experience, and coming out with even more motivation.


Pitt, I hope you read this, because this is where it is going to get interesting. I feel like if I am going to return like I did and peak at the right time, I need something to motivate me moreso than I had last year. I prepared extremely hard last year. I just need something to do that again. Now whether that is moving the trophy back so every time I wake up I see it and get angry, or just taking a picture of a national trophy and putting it on my bathroom mirror, I need something. And I am asking for a little bit of help with that, because I don't know exactly what it would be. Behind all of this post, I followed the assignment so I could ask for help with that, figuring you would be fine because the big purpose of doing so.

No comments:

Post a Comment